Exercise: The lighting angle

11 photos

Camera in fixed position, obect like sculpture, plain background,

1)  light with diffuser same level as subject and camera.

For this whole exercise I chose a coconut made sculpture which I felt would allow me to see the effects of lighting effectively. I've set a black background by hanging a black T-Shirt, left my camera on a tripod and used a Canon 580Ex2 off camera flash with a plastic diffuser on top. Using wireless triggers allowed me to move the flash in various positions. Here's the initial setup:





I then reduced ambient light to the bare minimum and only used the flash as the main source of light. White balance set to flash.

a) front (light next to camera)






b) side



c) from behind on a side







d)directly behind



2) Raise light and point down subject with 45 degrees angle, move light around















3) Light suspended overhead pointing down

a) directly overhead



b) slightly in front


c) slightly behind


Before commenting on the results I can already say I've been tricked by my own eyes when performing the exercise. As the room was almost completely dark my eyes adapted and what seems like overall dark pictures on the screen now looked perfectly exposed when reviewing them on my camera LCD. The pictures above were from my second attempt after increasing flash power.



No comments:

Post a Comment