Color Space and Profiles.

I have noticed a big difference on the images I have uploaded to the web and the ones I view on photoshop. Furthermore, the pictures are not displayed the same when using Firefox or Internet explorer. I believe there would be differences with other browsers too.
Of course, if on top of that the screen you're using hasn't been calibrated then it will add up to the changes.

After investigating why this happens I found out it is mostly due to the color profile used. When saving to the web or exporting from photoshop a color profile is embedded. The most widely spread on the internet is sRGB.
 Many online printing services also use sRGB color space. What I have been using sofar is Adobe RGB (aRGB).

After analysing prints I have ordered from images converted to the sRGB and aRGB color space, comparing them with my calibrated screen, I have decided to use sRGB color space from now on.

Using a wider gammut would only benefit my pictures if I upgraded my monitor, would buy a printer with the wider gammut color space and then view the prints offline on paper that takes advantage of this wider gammut.

At this point of the course the investment is not worth it and I simply can't afford it. 90 percent of people will view my pictures on the web with an uncalibrated monitor and a browser aimed at an sRGB color space. If one day I want to use a wider gammut such as Photo pro or Adobe RGB I can always go back to my original RAW file which contains all the information needed.

When I used to work in sound engineering one of the tricks we used to test the quality of a track was to listen to it on a very basic and cheap hi-fi stereo with limited frequency range. If it sounded acceptable then it would sure sound good on better equipment with a wider frequency range. Most of all, it would sound acceptable on most people's hi-fi systems.  I believe the same can be said with color space.

The bottom line is if a picture looks good with an sRGB color space it will look good on a wider color space. However, the same can be said for a bad picture, no matter what color space is used it will still look bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment