exercise: different positions in the frame

This is my first attempt at this exercise. The most difficult part is to find the right scenery, a plain and even background with a main subject which could be "placed" in different positions in the frame.
My 1st guess was to look for a field outside the city but sofar I haven't found the right area yet.
However, I give it a shot in order to analyse how the different positions turn out to be in comparison with the background.

1st shot, not thinking when taking my first shot after taking out the camera:




2nd shot, Center of the frame:



3rd shot, slightly off center:



4th shot, corner of the frame:






As for the different positions, my first impression is the one that work the least is the center position. The slightly off center gives a better balance than the corner one. Then again, I feel the exercise is rigged due to the background not being plain and even. 
As for the image quality I am not so pleased with it so this is something I will also have to improve in my next attempt. The post processing, involving RAW file adjustments and sharpening, is not consistent throughout the 4 pictures and the color balance looks different on the 4th picture.

Overall, I realise that the choice of scenery is key to this exercise to serve the purpose of analysing the different positions. Keeping in mind the other flaws in this attempt I will have to repeat this exercise to get the full potential.



Here is my 2nd attempt. the background is quite even and the subject very clear.

Right upper corner of the frame






Center of the frame





left upper corner






left, off center


What I found interesting in this scenario is that the right upper corner of the frame works out better for me than the left upper corner one. when the bird is looking towards the empty space of the frame it seems to have a better effect. In my opinion, the off center picture above would have worked  better if the bird was off center on the right hand side.




No comments:

Post a Comment